My name is Kevin Newton. I am married to Brandi Newton and we have a daughter named Magnolia Michelle Newton. I became a father only 12 weeks ago and entering this stage in my life has brought interesting questions. Questions I have thought about in the past, but never made firm decisions about which side my opinion falls. Here are a few of those questions:
- What do my behaviors say about me?
- When (if ever) do I believe quitting is ok?
- Do I really believe a person can “be whatever they want to be?
- Do you always tell the truth or is bending the truth ok to spare someone’s feelings?
- Should you really be kind to everyone you meet?
- Does being kind lead to being taken advantage of by others?
- What are my values?
I have certainly not answered all of my questions, but one thing I am certain of is that there must be quality time spent with those you treasure and love. I worry that in today’s world of Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Snapchat, What’sApp, Tinder, etc. etc. that the actual connections people make are lessening. I worry that people mistake social media interactions for actual social lives. I worry that technology may be separating and severing the innate desire to congregate, socialize and have face-to-face experiences.
Let me be clear I am pro technology and social media avenues. In fact, the links above send you to the various social media accounts that I literally just created for this blog. My fear is that technology and social media are being misused. So this blog has two elements and three purposes:
- Element 1: Document my journey as a father struggling to create and maintain quality time with my family.
- Element 2: Reporting on the ups and downs of technology and social media as it relates to personal interactions
- Subsequent purpose: Practice writing short, concise stories/articles (I have a background in academia)
With that I will end at under 350 words and ask that you follow this blog for my story or to follow technology. Thanks again for dropping by Quality Time. Realized.